Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Broken Mirror

this is a story i had to write for english for school


The Broken Mirror


“I can't wait to get outside and use the new lawnmower!”
thirteen-year-old Corey commented as he raced through the house. He was
running through his Mother and Father's room and was so distracted,he
ran right into the wall. 'Whoops', he thought ,'need to be more---.'
*CRASH!* ”Oh no! What was that!” he exclaimed. He returned to his
parent's room to find their new mirror lying on the floor.

He walked over to the mirror, picked it up, and stood there
staring at the broken shards of glass in stunned silence. Then Corey's
four-year-old brother Samuel walked into the room. Hmmm.... Corey
considered the idea, and decided to try it.

“Samuel!” Corey shouted. Little Samuel looked at Corey with big,
round eyes and Corey instantly felt guilty. But he couldn't turn back
now. He had to finish what he started.”Samuel!” he shouted again. ”Look
what you did.” Samuel started to cry and Mother and Father hurried into
the room.

“What in the world is going on in here?” Mother asked.

Corey paused for a moment, then said, “Samuel knocked your new
mirror off the wall.”

“How?” Mother demanded

“I'm not sure”, Corey replied. “I walked in here to get my jacket

before I went outside to mow the grass and found Samuel in here next to the broken mirror.” At that moment,
Father spoke up.

“Corey, look at me and tell me you are telling the truth” he said
as he looked Corey in the eye. Corey hesitated, looking at his Father
with his bright green eyes.

Then he replied with a solid voice ,”Yes Father. I promise.”

Dad stood there, looked from Corey to Samuel, then said,”Corey,
you may go mow the grapples now.”

“Yes Father”, Corey replied. Without a glance at Samuel, he walked
out of the room.

Once Corey was outside in the garage, he pulled the lawnmower out,
put gasoline in the tank, and walked back to the garage to put the gas
can away. As he made his way back to the mower, he thought,'I shouldn't
have lied about Samuel like that. I mean, he is just a little kid and
all so maybe he didn't get in trouble.' Yet, as he started up the
mower, that pang of guilt wouldn't go away.

Once he finished mowing the grass, he put away the mower, locked
up the garage, and went in the house. ”I guess I should go apologize to
Samuel and tell Mom and Dad the truth.” As he walked slowly up the
stairs, he thought about what he should say. He found Samuel sitting on
the floor in his room playing with his Hot Wheels cars. ”Hey buddy!”

“Hi Samuel!” Sam replied with a big smile on his face.”Wanna play
cars with me?”

“Not right now Sam”, Corey said as he hugged his little brother.”I
just wanted to apologize for getting you in trouble earlier.”

“It's okay.”

With that, he turned back to his cars.

Corey made his way slowly toward his parents' bedroom. When he got
there, he stopped in the doorway. ”Mom, I have to tell you....” He
scuffed his shoe on the carpet.

“Yes Corey, what is it.” She saw how nervous he was and said,”What
can I help you with?”

“Well Mom, I have a confession to make....”

She sat there motionless. Waiting.

“Um....”

“You can tell me Corey.”

“Okay”, he sighed, trying to build up the momentum and courage.”I
broke your new mirror and I'm sorry. I didn't want to lie but I was
scared I would get in trouble. I was running through the house and
knocked your new mirror off the wall and I just wanted you to forgive
me. Please?”

“Oh”, she said softly.

Silence.

“Mom?”

“Well”,she said finally,”You'd better go tell you Father then.”

“Yes Mom”, Corey replied,”And I'm sorry.” She smiled and nodded in
approval.

“Your Dad's out in the yard”, she told him.

“'Kay. Thanks for forgiving me”, he said as he left the room. Then
he made his way outside with a spiring in his step.

“I'm sorry I lied”, he concluded that evening in the living room.
“I'll try my hardest not to in the future.”

“Thanks for telling the truth son”, his Dad said. “But you have to
understand, there's still going to be punishment.”

“Of course”, Corey grinned. He felt a whole lot better now that he
had told the truth.




THE END

No comments: